Everyone knows that I am a Mac&Cheese aficionado. You know that if any restaurant has M&C on the menu, I am duty-bound to try it. Now that I have relocated into the boondocks, restaurant M&C has become rare enough that I am no longer gaining ten pounds a month from it (don't worry y'all, I am maintaining my city weight beautifully). So I have had to resort to making my own, and so far, this one is pretty epic. I love Pinterest. It's just so... all engrossing. It's like the tar baby that swallows you whole and you can't escape, but really, it's so warm and squishy and nice, why would you want to? In one of my romantic Pinteresting sessions, I found this recipe, and it was so easy, I almost didn't even have to recheck it. In fact, I only rechecked it once to make sure I did it right because it seemed WAY TOO EASY. Which is pretty much my favorite way to cook.
Creamy Yogurt Mac & Cheese
And it actually even LOOKED like this when I was done. Which is how I could justify not taking my own picture, just using hers. (copyright © 2014 | Cooking ala Mel by Melinda Novak) Here also, is her (stolen) recipe. Thanks Mel!
And that's it.
Lest you labor under the misconception that I go without fancy M&C altogether now, I should fill you in on what I found at the Manito Taphouse when I spent a debauched (as in: drinking 8 beer samples before a doctor's appointment) afternoon drinking beer samplers with my cousin. In addition to two million different beers on tap there, which is reason enough to plan an entire weekend on location, they make a Green chile Mac & Cheese with chicken that was, in a word, heaven. It ranks right up there with Ten Barrel Brewing in Bend and their Pancetta MnC. So. Fracking. Good. And for the record, I will include my top 5 M&C's (to date) from around the region in NO particular order:
- 10 Barrel Brewing , Bend, OR - 10 Barrel Mac & Cheese (used to be made w/ pancetta but appears they use andouille sausage now. I'd be willing to try. If forced.)
- Manito Tap House , Spokane, WA - Green Chile Mac & Cheese - just, yum.
- Brother Jon's Public House, Bend, OR - The Creamy Mac & Cheese is just plain divine comfort food. The Spicy Buffalo Mac is crazy awesome. If you're in a crazy awesome mood.
- Deschute's Brew Pub, Bend, OR - Mirror Pond Mac & Cheese. If you've ever had a Mirror Pond ale, there isn't much explaining needed.
- No-Li Brewhouse, Spokane, WA - Spicy Mac & Cheese, with that andouille sausage again, you know it's gotta be good...